It took me a while to really decide what kind of game I wanted to create for DIGC this semester, and i’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thinking about it throughout the holidays. During the long break, I decided I wanted to create a type of card game that requires an engaging and attentive participants, as I found these types of games particularly entertaining. I drew influences from multiple games throughout the holidays (with the lack of university work) including; Cards Against Humanity, SpyFall, Bohnanza and SuperFight. I also found a great Youtube Channel that uploads a type of “Let’s Play” with all sorts of games that I found pretty relevant!
So here’s my game: Survive
The idea of the game is for the main player to think his/her way out of a situation and survive whatever event is thrown their way by the “Devil’s Advocate(s)”, overcoming their weakness and taking advantage of whatever strengths they have. It is then up to a judge to decide whether or not the player survives, or if their arguments and plans would ultimately have them killed.
Roles: (1) Survivor, (1) Judge (the player to the Survivors left), (1 or more) Devils Advocate(s)
Decks: Event, Weakness, Strength, Wild Card
- Nominate a beginning Survivor (Then rotate clockwise afterwards)
- Clarify Roles (Survivor, Judge, Devils Advocate)
- The Judge draws 1x Event card, 1x Strength card and 1x Weakness card. The Judge must reveal the chosen cards and place them face up.
- The Judge reads out the cards, and begins the context and event for The Survivor, then asks, “How do you survive?“
- The Survivor must give a detailed argument as to how they would survive the event with their particular strength/weakness
- The Devil’s Advocate then must question his argument and find flaws that would have him killed.
- The Judge determines the length of the argument.
- If no resolution can be found, The Judge may pick up a Wild Card and change the context of the game.
- The Judge then determines if the survivor does indeed, survive
- If the Survivor wins, they keep the Event Card
- First to 3 Event Cards wins
I plan on designing the cards myself and printing them through an online service in the next few weeks, but i’m going to be bringing in some rough paper versions of the game to see what the game play is like, and see if the game mechanics need any changes. I’m excited to make the game, and see who can survive!